Friday, August 22, 2008

Trouble the Water

I had just moved to MA about 2 weeks before Katrina hit. As I was unpacking and painting I had the TV on MSNBC all day long - this would be post Katrina.

Everyday when CA would call to see how things were going at the house - my first response was "What the hell are they waiting for - why aren't we doing something?" I was more than troubled by what I was witnessing by the hour. When Ray Nagin blasted the federal government for not stepping in, he almost put me in tears. Here was an American BEGGING, PLEADING for help to save other American lives and it appeared no one was listening. The stillness of nothing happening was haunting. I could only think, race was playing a factor in our lack of response. I never saw this happen in FLA when brother Jeb needed a helping hand from Uncle Sam.

Never in my wildest dreams, especially after September 11th, would I think our government would be so inept at helping these people. No food, no water, dead bodies floating in the streets. Once again, all of my dreams of what I thought this country stood for were shattered during those four days after Katrina hit.

I caught this trailer the other day - this movie appears to be a riviting view of what happened.